There is no place anywhere else like it. You can ask just about anyone who has attended or worked at a summer camp, and they will all tell you how it holds a special place in their heart (especially here at ELC). The best (and crazy) part about that unique collection of memories is that everyone will have a completely different story or a completely different reason why they feel this way. It’s this whirlwind of positive vibes and crazy emotions that forces each of us to break a smile when we think about it. It’s in that grin that you know the Power of Camp worked.
Some questions may pop up like “What is the Power of Camp? or Where does it come from?” In all honesty, that’s something only you can figure out, that’s the best part of about it. Yet, I can make some guesses where it all comes from…
- Friendships. One of the craziest things to witness at camp is the last couple days of camp. There’s a staleness in the air. The pit in stomachs and swelling of eyes truly shows how much you grew over the summer and how important the friendships you made are. It says a lot about what camp friendships truly mean.
- Counselors and Campers. It doesn’t matter whether you’re the camper or you’re the counselor, the opposite made an impact on you. It’s impossible to spend that much time together and not create a bond that can only be compared to a favorite teacher/student. It could be anything from a prank, a moment of greatness, or something as simple as talking. It goes with you, long after camp ends.
- Growing Up. Summer Camp is one of those things that help you grow as a human being. It’s crazy to think, especially for the Night Owls, the extended time you go without relying on technology…and in reality, it’s a beautiful thing. (I can’t think of too many places where you can do that anymore) It’s a great place to figure out who you are and who you want to be.
- Color War. I’m not sure I can accurately describe or explain what all goes with color war, so I’m not going to try. If you’ve been through a color war, you know. If you haven’t, you should try it.
- Ten for Two. The fact that an idea like this exists, truly shows you the power of camp. We work and do our best in life/school so that for those two months of that year, we can just enjoy everything that is camp. It’s an atmosphere of fun and activities that can’t be achieved anywhere else for 2 months.
The Power of Camp is an amazing thing. It’s something that will truly change your life. I can’t wait to see where it comes from in 2015.
I’d love to hear how The Power of Camp has affected you…. feel free to leave a comment on here or even on our facebook page. #10for2